The Prism Project
The Prism Project
Reflecting BAME voices and dispersing new stories
Invisible Silvi by Paula David on 22 Mar
Invisible Silvi is part of a trilogy of plays about female sexuality. This play looks at the restraints of the patriarchy on a second generation Caribbean woman born in London in the 1950s. Does a woman have the right to prioritise her own pleasure? If she is not satisfied emotionally, sexually, intellectually must she just suppress her desires? Silvi assumed she should until she witnessed everything she believe in crumble.
What is The Prism Project?
The Prism Project is a series of rehearsed readings at Park Theatre that offers free rehearsal space and a professional theatre in which to develop and showcase diverse stories. The project is spearheaded by Park Theatre’s administrator, Melissa Bonnelame, to address the need within the theatre industry to provide support and professional opportunities to BAME creatives.
Who can take part?
If you are an artist who is Black, Asian or part of a minority ethnic group then we want to hear from you. You should be working on a script (either yourself or as part of the creative team) that could use the space for its development, and you should have a creative team available to work on your project. We will take all applications under consideration and, if successful, Melissa will be in touch with you to discuss further.
What will Park Theatre provide?
- A morning of rehearsal space in Park Theatre, free of charge
- One of our two professional theatre spaces to perform your rehearsed reading, free of charge
- A listing on The Prism Project webpage, as well as a select amount of organic social media support
- Park Theatre will invite a select number of guests to the reading
What does the creative provide?
- Creativity! If you’ve got the idea, we can provide the space
- You’ll need to find your own actors, director or producer (as needed)
- Park Theatre are not able to pay creatives on The Prism Project at this time, so any fees incurred for actors, directors, producers etc. will need to be covered by you
- You will create the guest list for your reading and send invites to those you want to attend
When can I apply? Are there any deadlines?
The Prism Project is a rolling programme and is open to submissions throughout the year, subject to availability. There is no application deadline, so please submit an application form when you are ready and, if successful, Melissa will be in touch to discuss availability for your rehearsals and reading.
How do I apply?
Please download and complete the submissions form and email to [email protected] with a short introduction about yourself and your project, so we can get to know you.
What will the next steps be?
If your submission is successful, Melissa will contact you to discuss the T&Cs in more detail and will also answer any questions you may have. Then it’s over to you to make the most of the space for your project!
The small print...
The Prism Project is an 'in kind' support programme which offers free rehearsal and performance space for rehearsed readings. As such we are unable to provide tech support, lighting or sound, financial support or dramaturgy. Please be aware your rehearsed reading will take place on top of existing sets and you/ your team will be responsible for inviting the vast majority of guests to the reading.