Activism in Performance: Young Company
15 September 2020 - 20 October 2020
Our weekly Zoom hosted Young Company class returns for the autumn term for ages 15 - 18
What Is It?
Activism in Performance: Young Company is a 6-week Zoom course that will explore different performers, practitioners and companies that use their medium as a platform for activism and social change.
This course will act as an introduction to social activism within performance, with a view to using this as a research and development period to inform the work that you create in the next term.
You will look practitioners such as Cardboard Citizens, Graeae, Akala, Kae Tempest and Good Chance Theatre. The final schedule of practitioners you will be researching will be confirmed in due course.
Activism in Performance is part of our Activate Your Rebellion season, where we challenge you to embrace your local community, assess the world around you and look at how we can action positive change.
Please note that this class takes place on Zoom
How to Book & Participate
- Click the 'book now' button and complete your purchase online (please note our phone lines are closed due to the pandemic, please direct any enquiries to Nina at: [email protected])
- Download Zoom on your device well in advance of your session and complete your account set up: https://zoom.us/home
- The day before your class, you will receive an email with a Zoom link to join the session - including a password to safeguard participants. For evening classes you will receive log in info by 12 noon on the day of the event, for daytime classes you will receive the info by 5pm the previous day.
- If you have any problems, Zoom have a range of tools and 'how to' guides for getting started, how to set up your video and audio here: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us
- Just before the class start time, the facilitator will start the meeting on Zoom and you can log in to the session via the link and password provided. Please aim to log in 5 mins before the start time of the class.
- Parents will need to log on for their children and use their full name. No-one else should be in the shot, taking pictures or recording. Children should wear comfortable clothing and be prepared to stay for the duration of the class.
- On classes with young people, the facilitator will 'lock the room' to ensure online safety once everyone has logged on. There will also be a 'waiting room' in operation where participants will wait to be admitted.
- During your session, it can be helpful to mute yourself whilst the facilitator is talking to avoid background noise.
- Download and read our Young Company Code of Conduct document
If the class you wish to attend is appearing as sold out, please email Community Engagement Manager Nina Graveney-Edwards [email protected] to add yourself to the waiting list for future classes.